Monday, March 24, 2008

Decision 2008

Staying Away From The Obama Hype
By Amber Gray

The election has gotten my attention, and I guess I have no other choice but to comply. As it is, I can’t go anywhere without seeing an Obama pin on the back pack of some nerdy white boy on campus, or see an angry feminist nailing a Hilary sign on a telephone pole, each nail digging deeper as if the pole is the body of a man. It may be just be me, but aren’t we going a little bit overboard?

In particular, I am mostly bitter about the countless young adults who crave Barack Obama perhaps more than they desire the new “iPod Touch” or Blackberry. You may wonder, why do I think this is so bad? Isn’t it spectacular that adults ages 18-24 are finally taking part in a decision that is not “what shoes go with this outfit?” or “do I want the MacBook or MacBook Pro?”

It’s true, it’s great that young adults are finally letting their voices be heard, but do they really know what they are fighting for? I know many people my age, who in the past, flicked right by a political debate on TV or barely knew the differences between being a Democrat or a Republican. Who are they now standing strong for now? Barack Obama.

Obama supporters have created a cult, which according to Webster’s New World Dictionary is defined as “devoted attachment to, or extravagant admiration for, a person, principle or lifestyle, especially when regarded as a fad.” In my experience, if I say one word to a friend opposing her devout love for Obama, she could stop talking to me for days. People identify him as a savior. "Hardball" host Chris Matthews told viewers that when he heard Obama speak, "I felt this thrill going up my leg." At six of his rallies, people have fainted, according to theconservativevoice.com.

I can see where they are coming from, don’t get me wrong; Obama has a very specific charm. He’s a young guy with good looks, a stunning smile and a voice that I always mistaken for the highly inspirational Martin Luther King Jr. I guess it’s not hard to get sucked in. The motto “Yes We Can” has been incredibly touching for some, but it doesn’t speak any depth to me. Featuring the “clever” slogan in Hip Hop star “Will.i.am’s” music video that highlights Obama, is belittling to young adults who already buy into everything they see in the media..

And don’t get me started on the term “change.” I see change as something that occurs no matter what. When something is being indeed changed, like a new president, change is not a choice. Buying into these catch phrases and ideas are what makes me wonder when people my age going to see through the B.S we are receiving.

Obama is becoming a brand, and unfortunately, most are people my age are being scammed. We are being sold this dream of hope, but why on earth does Obama, who just recently got a seat on the U.S. Senate in 2004, think he can solve all our problems?

It’s a double-edged sword. It’s great that younger people are ready to finally get out and vote. I just hope that those who do vote for Barack Obama, know what they are voting for.

No comments: